Saturday, June 20, 2009

These are a few of my favorite things...

"raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens."

Well those things are nice but that is not at all what I was referring too. I wanted to share a few of our favorite "baby" things in hopes that others would post in the comments some of their favorite baby/toddler/kid things.

In the Graning house there are 2 things that we swear by. For the first 6 months we didn't go anywhere without both of them at the ready.

The Miracle Blanket (aka "The Straight Jacket")

The Miracle Blanket was given to us by my dear friend Rebecca and after seeing how well it worked with their little girl Rylie (not so little any more) we knew we would be using it. Liam absolutely loved being swaddled whenever he was going down to sleep be it naptime or night time. He just weaned from the Miracle Blanket (yes, we had to slowly wean him from it) about a month ago but he really didn't want to give it up.

The Sleep Sheep

The Sleep Sheep was a gift from Aunt Evie and Uncle Sebastien and has really been a lifesaver. Liam loves white noise and the Sleep Sheep has 4 different sounds to choose from. Liam's favorite is the ocean which is very close to the "shhhh" sound that he also really likes. Dr. Harvey Karp would be proud, Liam is definitely a "5 S's" baby.

So those are our favorite things from the first 6 months. Please share some of your favorite things! We would love the advise as we move into this next stage.



5 comments:

  1. I never thought I was much of a "stickler" for a schedule, but after Jake was born I definitely tried to have him home for a long nap instead of out and about and also had a certain bedtime at night and rarely strayed from that. Now of course this depends on your lifestyle and amount of outings and all, but Jake is doing very well with his sleeping habits and always has. I have heard horror stories of bedtime and remember my babysitting days of how hard it was. Now at 19 mths, Jake will go to his room around 6:45-7 and get his bunny and paci and will want you to put him in the crib. He goes right to sleep, after our prayers of course. Of course, this could change any day, but I do think he is just so used to his routine, he just knows what to expect at bedtime. Sorry this is a long post...I'm a proud mommy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We couldn't do without Nixon's "baby". It's one of those little miniature blankets that is really soft. Ours has little triangles on each side that he loved to chew on when he was teething. Now, whenever we're on a long car ride, or getting ready for sleep, he says, "I want my baby". Too cute! Of course, let me tell you how it goes when I have to try to wean him from it, since he likes to take it whereever we go. I think it'll be worse than a paci!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so happy that Liam has enjoyed the miracle blanket!! I also love the glimpse of his nursery!!

    I am now also a big fan of "Little Giraffe" blankets. While they require a dip into the college savings fund, they are the softest blankets. Ever. Downside: they can't go in the dryer so they do require that you introduce another detail into your world that you have to remember and keep track of.

    This is totally random but I also am loving the latest spoons we found at the T. As we are in full swing mode with baby food, these are hot commodities around our kitchen... They are just long handled spoons by "munchkin". They make feeding baby food so much easier. Seems like not a big deal but if you are sick of sweet potatoes and Hawaiian Delight babyfood getting all over your hands, these are the spoons to get.

    ReplyDelete
  4. For when our guys started eating finger foods, we LOVED the Snack Trap for on the go snacks and a good hand-held vacuum to clean up the mess at home. I have a Shark right now, and LOVE it.

    Both of my boys also LOVE their Anywhere Chairs from Pottery Barn Kids. Tyler got his for Christmas, but it's a great Christmas or birthday present from the grandparents. My boys sit in theirs to "read" books all the time!

    Another thing worth asking the grandparents for is a lunch bag with Liam's name embroidered on it. As you venture out for playdates, it's nice for him to have his own lunch box, separate from yours... and he'll be able to use it for so long! Carter and Tyler have ones from PB Kids (they're often on sale), and we use them SO often.

    I'm such in toddler mode that it's hard for me to think back to baby times. :)

    Love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  5. just checking back in to see what other goodies people like and I have to second, third and forth Kristen's comments about the lunchbox! Rylie has had one that we use all of the time and I just got one for Reagan. It is so great to use even for baby stuff- her bib, spoon, baby food jars and even bottles when we are headed out! You can't go wrong with the PBK ones... I love the little boy shark ones they have right now!

    ReplyDelete