Friday, February 18, 2011

Annual Graning Family Ski Weekend

This past weekend we ventured off to Snowshoe, West Virginia, for our annual Graning Family Ski Weekend. We decided that this was our fifth year going on this trip and we plan to keep going as long as we can. Rolf's parent's ever so graciously rented an amazing house on the mountain and we all piled in for a weekend of fun and family. 

Liam had been talking for the entire week prior to leaving about going skiing even though he had no idea what that actually meant. When we stopped to rent Rolf's ski's we decided to try a pair on Liam and sure enough they had his size. He was excited to try on the ski boots and skis and ready to hit the slopes (anything to be like Daddy!) and the ski store through his in free so that helped. We started out on the first day in the driveway to see if he would actually like it and he loved it! Rolf was a great teacher and Liam surprisingly listened to everything Rolf told him to do...not an easy task for a strong-willed two-year-old. The second day he was ready to hit the slopes so we took him to the top of the mountain. He and Rolf would ski down about 75 yards and I would walk behind taking pictures. Once at the bottom, I would carry Liam, ski's and all, back up to the top while Rolf skied back up.  He didn't actually do any runs but had it been earlier in the day and the lifts weren't closed he absolutely could have.  He kept pointing to the ski lift and saying "me do that mommy"! In all honesty I am kind of happy the lifts were closed because I couldn't imagine putting my little guy on a big ski lift but I don't think I am going to have a choice next year as he is ready to go!  














The best part of skiing is the post-skiing hot chocolate!


2 comments:

  1. HI Holly Rolf and Liam....I cannot believe it but finally found where to post this.
    What a great weekend we had....and glad we are not there this weekend because it is 70 degrees in Sylva!
    We are doing movie night here tonight! Love AGA

    ReplyDelete
  2. BEAUTIFUL pictures Holly!! And what fun you all must have had introducing Liam to the second best snow sport in the world. Maybe we will be able to finally do our dream snow weekend and show him the real fun of having both feet stuck to one board! No seriously, that is really impressive that he was so brave and willing to try it. Rolf must have been a great teacher and I can't imagine hauling him up the hill, gear and all with a very preggo belly- you're my hero!

    ReplyDelete