Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Potomac Fever

Potomac fever has once again struck the Graning house. On December 16th (I know I should have posted this along time ago) we found out that Rolf had been selected to do a Cardiology fellowship at the National Military Medical Center in Bethesda, Maryland. To say the least we were very, very surprised with the news but also very excited.  Rolf had been told by almost everyone that it was a long shot and had relayed the news to me in no uncertain terms, so that I would not get my hopes up.  There were at least 6 candidates competing for 4 spots (2 in Bethesda and 2 in San Diego) and although Rolf was a highly qualified and competitive candidate we did not think he would have enough "Navy points" to actually get the fellowship. So as we were plotting and planning our next move, to somewhere like Camp Lejeune, North Carolina, and possibly a deployment for Rolf, God once again reminded us that he is in control.

And now to brag on my hubby, Rolf truly has worked so hard for this fellowship. He has known since first starting residency that he wanted to do cardiology and has put in hundreds maybe thousands of hours to make sure it happened. Rolf is not a brown-noser, he stays away from workplace politics, tries to be easygoing and he makes sure every day that the work he does and the decisions that he makes stand for themselves. His superiors value his opinion, his peers respect him, and his patients love him. To say that he came highly recommended for the job is putting it mildly but hey I am a little biased.

Alright, enough of that. Here is a pictures of us going out for a date to celebrate! 


3 comments:

  1. That's so awesome Holly! Go Rolf! I know you are probably excited to be moving back to the DC area. Let's hope we won't be too far away....gonna be Richmond or Baltimore. It is pretty competitive for Eric too so we are praying he gets selected by a program.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats! That's awesome and I know you're very proud of him!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wahoo! Sorry I have been absent from the blog world and am just getting caught up! Cardiology and an awesome wife??? How lucky can Rolf get? ;)

    ReplyDelete